A County's community transportation coordinator (CTC) is responsible for the production of a TDSP. Per the requirements of the Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged (FCTD), the TDSP is an annually updated tactical plan for the local transportation disadvantaged (TD) program that includes the following components:
- Service Plan—identifies the existing operational and administrative structure of the local TD program;
- Development Plan—identifies the long-term goals and objectives for the local program, based on data presented within that component;
- Quality Assurance—describes the methods used to evaluate the services provided by the CTC, transportation providers, and the Official Planning Agency, and discusses the local service standards established by the local coordinating board (LCB), which are used to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the system; and
- Cost/Revenue Allocation & Fare Justification—requires the agency to prepare a justification of costs, revenues, and fares charged for transportation services.
TOA has experience assisting Florida transit properties with the preparation of TDSPs in full compliance with FCTD requirements. Often, TOA completes the TDSP in conjunction with an agency's TDP since it is most efficient to complete both efforts concurrently. TOA also has worked with transit agencies and MPOs to expand the TDSP scope so that it also serves as the community's locally coordinated human services transportation plan (LCHSTP). With more extensive public involvement to help identify mobility needs and existing gaps in transportation services and to prioritize potential solutions, the completion of an LCHSTP enables access to Federal Job Access-Reverse Commute (JARC, FTA 5316) and New Freedom (NF, FTA 5317) Program dollars to help fund identified improvements. TOA is experienced in the completion of both TDSPs and LCHSTPs and also has supported transit agencies in the setup and administration of their JARC/NF programs.
A representative list of TDSP and locally coordinated planning projects includes:
- Volusia County Transit (VOTRAN) TDSP (2011)
- Lee County Transit (LeeTran) JARC/NF Competitive Program Administration Support (2010–ongoing)
- Pinellas County MPO, Hillsborough County MPO, and Pasco County MPO, Tri-County Access Plan – LCHSTP & Update (2006, 2009)
- LeeTran Transportation for Lee County Plan – LCHSTP (2008)
- Sarasota-Manatee LCHSTP (2008)
- Pinellas County TDSP Support (2007)
- Marion County TDSP (2007)
- Lake County TDSP (1999, 2005)
- St. Lucie Transportation Disadvantaged Service Plan (2001)